Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Music, Etc AND A QUIZ!!

It's been a banner year for your hero so far. A new job, a divorce, a broken foot, some trips, a lot of music. And some music. Did I mention music? Oh, and did I mention the divorce? Yeah. I think I did. Here we go. Please take notes and pay attention, there will be a test.

Staying On Subject

I'm just now back on the training track. After a few light workouts on the treadmill and a nice run on the beach, the old paw is ready for the road again. Today is a nice 6 miler 'round the sparkling city of Everett. I'll let you know what breaks this time. Still probably too late for the Vancouver 'Thon, but I might give it a try if I haven't lost much endurance. Been cycling and working out in the pool to keep the lungs alive. We'll see. QUIZ QUESTION #1: WHAT IS HARBOR SQUARE ATHLETIC CLUB'S OFFICIAL "FAMILY" MEMBERSHIP POLICY?

Lodging

How cool is the Skamania Lodge? Ummmm, pretty damn cool.

Music

The Colleague (is it time she had a new Blog name? Am I ready for that sort of commitment? I am taking suggestions for the name change) and I have long history rooted in music. QUIZ QUESTION #2: WHAT WAS THE FIRST CD THE COLLEAGUE EVER BORROWED FROM GVB AT WORK? In the past few months, we have seen a lot of live shows:

1. Karrin Allyson at Jazz Alley. Great vocal jazz and Sapphire martinis? Excellent! Getting locked out of the parking garage at 2 am? Not great! QUIZ QUESTION #3: HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE ONE'S EYES TO ADJUST TO COMPLETE DARKNESS?

2. James Blunt at Everett Events Center. Um. Wow. Yes, I know he is a love-song cliche by now, but this guy can write some sad fucking songs. And live? He actually has some rock to him. Bonus? His home video footage of his time serving in the military in Bosnia. Rip my heart out why don't you.

3. Keller Williams at the Showbox. Ooo, this will forever be the night I met The Colleague's sister-in-law and the drunk girl who had several "affairs" between the bar and the women's room. I think there was a concert.

4. The Presidents of the United States of America. Great show. Fun, long standing Seattle band. QUIZ QUESTION #4: WHERE SHOULD THE KITTY SLEEP?

5. Big Head Todd and the Monsters at the Showbox. My all time favorite band in the best venue in Seattle? Are you kidding me? QUIZ QUESION #5: IN WHAT NATIONAL PARK DID GVB TRULY FALL IN LOVE WITH MIDNIGHT RADIO? (Towse is excused from this question)

6. Dr John at Jazz Alley. Totally fun New Orleans jazz/blues fusion with a LOT of political shots at the asshole who serves as president. Also? Hendrick's martinis.

7. The Feeling, Rocco Deluca and the Burden, and Mat Kearney at the Showbox. Ok...I'm still reeling a bit from this one. The Blog Persona Formerly Known as The Colleague and I had just driven 400 miles from Hood River to Seattle after a week on the Oregon Coast. We were sleep-deprived and probably still a little wasted from the beer we consumed over the course of the trip...but this show was amazing. The Feeling are worth checking out for sure. They play to sold out soccer stadiums in England and have a ton of fun on stage. Plus? They have some good music. Check out their site. Rocco Deluca and the Burden get two awards: the best band name AND the best album name ("I Trust You To Kill Me"). Bonus? Rocco actually fucking his guitar onstage. Nice. Deluca's best quote: "The Blues died when they took the "fuck" out of it. I want to put it back in". Well said. They stole the show. For sure. Mat Kearney? Solid show. But following Deluca? Good thing he is more popular and everyone knows his songs...

8. QUIZ QUESTION #6: WHAT CONCERT WILL WE BE ATTENDING ON APRIL 21ST?

Divorce

You know what's expensive but worth it? Wait...let's make this a quiz question: QUIZ QUESTION #7: WHAT'S EXPENSIVE BUT WORTH IT?

Broken Foot

Back to the point of this damn blog: the foot is healing quickly. I've managed 20 miles or so this week on the treadmill/beach/road. Next offical race will be Beat the Bridge in May. Still hoping for a June/July 'Thon. Any ideas which race I should dig into?

Cap'n Ron is an animal, by the way. He's down 30 pounds, doing long days of 24 miles, and holding a 9:30 pace. A sub 4:00 'Thon is a given. Go get 'em Cap'n. Hope I can be there.

Ink
The GVB Tattoo is in place and all healed up. QUIZ QUESTION #7: WHERE IS THE GVB TATTOO LOCATED?

EXTRA CREDIT: WHERE IS THE BLOG PERSONA FORMERLY KNOW AS THE COLLEAGUE'S LATEST TATTOO?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Personally, I'm voting for The Colleague to retain her blog persona. It totally rocks, carries a whole lot of significance (from my pov anyway) and now is so much more meaningful in many more ways.

I'd like to venture a guess on the tatoo locations, but that seems way too... (something) for me.

GVB said...

Maybe "The Colleague" with an asterisk...afterall, she's going ON LEAVE this term!!! Damn her!! Leaving me alone in that sea of psuedo-academia!! Ahhhhhhh.

Anonymous said...

For the record: The Colleague is very happy with her name. AND her tattoo.