Sunday, November 18, 2007

Playlist Mania

A friend of a friend who is friends with a writer at ESPN, where my friend works, sent me a link to this story at ESPN.com's "PAGE 2".

In it, runner Jeff Pearlman provides his ultimate training playlist (26 songs in honor of the 26 miles and change he was training for). Here are his songs, in order, you need to read the story for his excellent discussion of each:

1. Lose Yourself - Eminem
2. Jesus Walks - Kanye West
3. King of the Nighttime World - KISS
4. I Try - Talib Kweli with Mary J. Blige
5. Layin' it On the Line - Jefferson Starship
6. Scenario - A Tribe Called Quest
7. Enter Sandman - Metallica
8. Jump Around - House of Pain
9. Highway to Hell - AC/DC
10. Crazy in Love - Beyonce with Jay-Z
11. Harder to Breathe - Maroon 5
12. Too Cold - Vanilla Ice
13. Panama - Van Halen
14. Crazy Train - Ozzy Osbourne
15. Hot in Here - Nelly
16. Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos - Public Enemy
17. All These Things That I've Done - The Killers
18. Praise You - Fatboy Slim
19. Welcome to the Jungle - Guns 'n' Roses
20. It Takes Two - Rob Base and DJ E-Z Rock
21. Son's Gonna Rise - Citizen Cope
22. Walk this Way - Run DMC
23. New Sensation - INXS
24. Wanna be Startin' Somethin' - Michael Jackson
25. Spin Around - Kay Hanley
26. War - Edwin Star

Five of these songs are also on my best playlist. Anyone care to venture a guess?

What is your favorite running list? Or are you like Cap'n Ron who just goes on the all Diva shuffle play?

What is the best running song of all time? Best mid-marathon "hittin' the wall" song?

Chime in, audiophiles...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wha'da ya' mean "all diva"? There's 2 or 3 dudes on that list including The Roots "Don't Say Nuthin'". By the way, The Tipping Point is a great album. As for the best "wall" song, Dave Mathews Band "Might Die Trying" is my favorite.

Of course, since I'm sitting on an island in the middle of the pacific, I'm listening to Jack.

Cap'n Ron

GVB said...

Nice of you to visit us from THE Island, Cap'n. You send me any more pictures with any combination of beer, water, sand, or surf and I might lose it...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the list. I was inspired to make my own based on this list and various other inputs. I know what gets me going at the gym.

Moveitfred said...

I have trouble with music on the long runs. I want to hurl the pod by mile 18. The wire starts to annoy me, and the ear buds are slick and falling out, and the little clip is nuggin' me. All that said, I gotta go with Let It bleed.