Wednesday, September 06, 2006

The 'Hood is Back

While the family was away for Labor Day Weekend (I hardly labored at all, just two medium length runs, but on one of them I managed to hold a 6:53 pace for 3 miles), the 'Hood was unceremoniously delivered back to her slip by the boys from Marine Service Center.

I arrived onboard today to take her south for my annual "I Can't Quite Give In to the Start of School" cruise to Edmonds.

Good news all around. The new electrical work is superb (new batteries and charger with an inverter to run all my electronic toys), the dripless shaft seal actualy works, and the new MaxProp? Kick ass. This thing has WAY more torque than the old prop and it gives me a better cruising speed. I made the 14 mile trip to Edmonds in 2 hours. Granted, some of that was a helping current, but even in slack water I motored at almost 6 knots. It isn't much better than the 5.5 knots we used to averaged with the old prop, but over the course of a long trip, that really adds up.

What I can't get used to yet is the new sound the engine makes after the old broken engine mounts were replaced. Nor can I get used to the sound the new prop makes when it slams into gear. Oh well.

I'm here in Edmonds. Come on by K Dock for the last of the cold IPA. It's going fast.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

would that I could come by the Hood....

glad you got 'er back.

Anonymous said...

would that I could come by the Hood....

glad you got 'er back.