Sunday, February 25, 2007

Change of Plans


Now I know what the inside of my left foot looks like. Broken.

THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU NOW
Dr. Hysterical: "So, GVB, you were here last year on February 25th with a broken foot. Welcome back. Wanna see some neat pictures?

GVB: "Uh oh."

Dr. H: "Yup. Uh oh is right."

GVB: "Let's do this."

Dr. H: "Here is your foot. Here (points to several bones in the foot) is what bones should look like. Here (points to third metatarsal) is what a really fucked up bone looks like.

GVB: "And that's my foot? You're sure?"

Dr. H: "Pretty damn sure...it's called a "marching fracture", common in soldiers in boot camp who stomp around all day. And in marathoners and other runners."

GVB: "I swear I'm not in the Army."

Dr. H: "Well, regardless, this foot be busted all up. Good news and bad news, you decide which is which...No cast, no crutches, no ugly boot or anything. The bone is already held fast by the strong bones around it."

GVB: "I'll call that the good news. The bad?"

Dr. H: "Stay off of it. 4 weeks."

GVB: "Um..."

Dr. H: "Yeah yeah, the training. I know. Option B is to keep training. Then it is about 3 months to heal. Your choice. I don't care. Either way you 're gonna want some pain killers and anti-inflammatory drugs (writes prescription). Ironically, IF you can take the pain of training on it, it will actually heal stronger over the longer period of time.

GVB: "Hey, that is irony. Good job."

Dr. H: "You damn English teachers..."

Soo...what to do now? Vancouver Marathon is early May. If I take 4 weeks off can I still make the race? What to do in the meantime?

Operators are standing by for any input and advice you all may have...

MAHALO
I know what I'm doing for Earth Day this year. Click here. How about the rest of you?

IMPROBABLE PARENTING PHRASE OF THE WEEK
"Son, please don't refer to yourself in the third person!"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

YOU'RE going to Kokua, too? Wheird.

GVB said...

I am! I want to go see someone I know who is playing at the show. You?

We should totally go together, you know, if you're going. Seems more economical.

Moveitfred said...

Dude, sorry about the paw! Sounds painful. What's the plan? And are you rotating shoes like an onsessive compulsive?