Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Suddenly Everything's Right

Hey, I put some new shoes on,
And suddenly everything is right,
I said, hey, I put some new shoes on and everybody's smiling,
It so inviting,
Oh, short on money,
But long on time,
Slowly strolling in the sweet sunshine,
And i'm running late,
And i dont need an excuse,
'cause i'm wearing my brand new shoes.


Ah glorious day. I finally got the funds I was waiting for to replace some aging and ill-fitting footwear. So off to RoadRunner Sports this afternoon where Cute Youg Urbanite Girl (CYUG) spent what must have been the least tolerable 2 hours of her life fitting me with new shoes.

On Cap'n Ron's recommendation I tried the ASICS, and I really wanted them too fit. No dice. CYUG insisted I go through the whole fit fiasco with computer analysis and such forth (nothing like a video of your stride on a treadmill to make you self conscious, though I did notice that the tattoo looks sharp from behind. Good news for all of you who run behind me...). I have two different strides. My left foot is totally neutral, my right is a trainwreck. Anyway, looking for a good stability shoe for distance training took FOREVER until I found the perfect fit. The Adidas adiSTAR Cushion 4. I used to wear Adidas back in the soccer days, but never thought to try them for running shoes. Add some Superfeet insoles and these babies are golden. Bye bye New Balance Bone Crushers.


For giggles, I decided I also wanted a pair of lighter shoes for pace days and medium length runs (5-10 miles). For whatever reason, the Adidas shoe that filled this need just would not fit me. Nor, for that matter, would the Adidas lightweight shoe for speed work at the track. So much for my brilliant plan.

So, when it was all said and done, GVB left CYUG and took home three new pair of shoes from three different manufacturers: Adidas, Brooks, and ASICS. Weird.

As predicted earlier in the week, I could not stand having new shoes and not breaking them in, so I hit the streets of the greater Castle neighborhood for a nice 10 miler.

Mid Week Score
I told you earlier in the week that I could see the future. Let's see how I have done so far...

SATURDAY
Except for the wind report, which was happily strong and steady from the west northwest ALL DAY, my Saturday prediction was spot on, right down to the ESB and the snarky comments from Mrs. GVB (who much to my delight arrived to pick up the kids with one of the worst haircuts I've ever seen). Now, that's not true. Sweater Girl's haircut is MUCH worse...

Dent de Lion managed a 5th place without her two best crew and a brand new spinnaker. Way to go, swabs.

SUNDAY
Sunday was also spot on, except that the Cap'n and I did 11 miles (not 10) and it wasn't as "easy" as we had planned. We're bad for each other. We just can't slow down...

Not one essay was graded.

MONDAY
Monday I was wrong about. Rather than bitchy comments from Sweater Girl and the Pear Shaped Woman, I got passive aggressive silence and avoidance when they KNEW I had shit to get done that needed their input. Nice professional work, ladies. Also, RPD had already had a run in with the Pear Shaped Woman on Friday. Had I known this, I might have predicted something different here...

Also? I did not run. Instead I had beers with Adjunct Formerly Known as Caroline and crashed at the castle.

TUESDAY
Well now, that's today, isn't it? As of this writing all is true. I still theoretically have time to make my weight lifting session, but sheesh, I've already run 10 miles and plan to swim tonight. I'm only human, and SOMEONE has to drink these Corona's in The Colleague's fridge. Since even I won't let a 9 and 12 year old drink beer, it seems like I have to do it...

No comments: