Thursday, November 20, 2008

Ten Things I (Think I) Know...

  1. Many of the brave patrons/clients/customers/students of the Learning Factory are really not cut out for the study of the liberal arts. Case in point: the student who asked me, through tobacco-stained teeth and from underneath the bill of his super-cool straight-billed baseball cap, if there was a way to get his English credits done without having to take English. Ummm. Here is a picture of said student and his study partners:
  2. My resolve for suffering through the Seattle Marathon if the weather turns ugly is pretty low. In fact, my resolve for leaving the house if they weather turns ugly is low. Hell, my resolve for suffering through the Seattle Marathon if it's 60 degrees and sunny is low. Maybe I'll just stay home and eat Ruffles.
  3. Ruffles are awesome.
  4. I could totally go for some Ruffles right now.
  5. The Colleague and I are officially headed to Kenya in June. Ticketed and ready. I'll start packing soon.
  6. Ending the training and tapering in anticipation of a race sucks. I am forcing myself to stick to short, easy runs this week to rest up for the Marathon next Sunday. But, as Cap'n Ron has pointed out a number of times, short runs suck. Here's why. My body has gotten used to runs that are almost all 7+ miles and the more I run the longer it takes to get warmed up and start feeling good during a run. Way back when my longest runs were 5 miles, it took a mile to warm up. Now it isn't until mile 3 or so that I really know how a run is going to go. So when I do little 4 milers like today, I am never get to settle in. I am headed back to the Shack before it really even feels like I'm running. Sucks. Also, getting dressed, and geared up and talking myself into running takes longer than the run itself. Lame. Yes, I am complaining.
  7. There's something wrong with the economy in this country. Has anyone else noticed this?
  8. A few of the potential cuts at The Learning Factory might be a good thing. Does anyone know what the woman in the office across the hall from The Colleague actually does aside from chatting all day with Death Bed Chain Smoker? Remember all those "high demand" stipends and hiring bonuses that the computer crowd got back in 2000? Anyone else notice that they don't actually have students anymore? Just sayin'. Also, it seems like Mr. President could give up a little for the cause. The cost of living in Kansas is pretty low. Also charge for parking.
  9. The girls know every word to every pop song on every radio station at every second of every day but they can't remember to put their shoes away.
  10. It's cold and dark outside and I want to go to Mexico.
  11. BONUS FACT: The Huskies are absolutely the worst football team I have ever watched. I think they might actually be more talented than the Cougar team that beat them this weekend in double overtime, but the Huskies' ability to find new ways to live down to their reputation is stunning. When they were leading by 10 points at halftime I knew they would lose. I just knew it. And I knew they would lose because of a ridiculously inept play at a crucial moment. It feels so good to be right! After they lose to Cal in two weeks I will have lived through 2 perfect seasons!

2 comments:

The Colleague said...

This says this was posted at roughly 11 this morning, but I've been on here since then and this JUST popped up. Someone's lying to me, and I don't like it.

ChrisG said...

Hmmm... some students at the Learning Factory aren't cut out for the liberal arts.... some students at Expensive Tiny Small Private College aren't cut out for the liberal arts. Hmmm..... what was that value of higher ed again? Why do we all need it?

Why do we insist on believing that it still has value if everyone has one? It strikes me the answer to the last has significance for the observation at the first.