Friday, January 19, 2007

I Think They Call it "Seasonal Depression Disorder"...


WEATHER
Seattle is known for its supposed rainy weather, which anyone who has ever really lived here will tell you is not really rain at all. It’s more like living in a low, wet cloud that settles in sometime in October and hangs on until February. And after 30 some years of living (mostly) in the Seattle area, I’ve gotten quite used to, errr, “moisture”. This means that I really don’t mind running, cycling, sailing, walking, hiking, tap dancing or bar hopping in the rain. Dr. Gore didn’t invent his miracle membrane fabric specifically for Seattleites, but he might as well have.

And, generally speaking, I’m a fan of the occasional snow day we get in Seattle. It’s rare enough that it feels sort of like a vacation day, and schools and such are pretty quick to just shut down and give us lucky academic types the day off. If you happen to find yourself snowed in with your significant other? All the better.

But we are just now coming off a long stretch of shit ass crap weather. Snow, ice, slush, sleet, wind, flooding, freezing cold…Give me one of these at a time and I can function pretty well. Training in this shit? No thanks.

Add in this mystery cold/flu/cough thing I’ve been fighting off for a week and what you get is a training calendar that has nothing on it for over 5 days.

This morning I had to run 100 yards to catch my train and it almost killed me. It’s an hour later now and I’m still breathing hard from the exertion. None of this is good…someone/thing needs to inspire me to get the shoes back on soon. Anyone?

Maybe I need to sign up for a race every weekend like Al Bangorhard.

POETRY KICKS ASS
Just to keep my blog sorta literary, allow me to recommend the following:
It Is If I Speak by Joe Wenderoth. And if you don't already know his Letters to Wendy's you should get that one too. Awesome.

GO HUSKIES?
I’m not officially alarmed yet, but a glance at the conference standings has the UW Men sitting at the bottom of the Pac 10 with a road game against suddenly relevant WSU this weekend. There is some cause for concern. I was really hoping to watch the Dawgs in the NCAA tournament again this year.

GO LION
Be afraid. The normally comically incompetent crew of Dent-de-Lion is winning races. Thank Non-Denominational-Supreme-Being for high wind.

IF IT’S IN THE GAME…

It occurred to me recently, as I was wasting a solid two hours playing NCAA Football on my Playstation, that what we need is a realistic college sports video game. In the most current version of the football game (which is enormously fun by the way) you can create a “Dynasty” program by recruiting blue chip players and allocating energy to training, recruiting, and discipline. But I want to be able to really coach the team just like real college coaches. I want to take bribes from boosters, gamble on my own team through thinly disguised “office pools”, torture my players with “optional” off-season workouts, offer my star players “jobs” working at my lollipop factory, extort favors and concessions from the university president, force “tutors” to do my athletes’ homework for them, bail my star running back out of prison after he beats up his girlfriend in a fit of ‘roid rage. That sort of stuff. Then I want to take a lucrative contract offer from Alabama right before the shit hits the fan at my current school.

I also want the option to take cheap shots after the whistle (a feature I really, really miss when I am playing WSU or Oregon), intentionally hurt the star quarterback, hold, kick, trip, commit pass interference on purpose, taunt the opposing fans, stomp on the logo of my rival school. Come on EA Sports. Step up. If it’s in the game…

You Tube is My Friend
Some of you saw this clip posted on the BiCoastal Boys Blog...but check it out again. Funny stuff. How many time can I tell people to "suck a bag of dicks" today? 3 and counting.

COMING SOON
The Annual Geology Tour and Gravity Test is coming soon! All interested parties shall meet at Jumbo Rocks Campground in Joshua Tree National Park on the 6th of February.

Big Head Todd and the Monsters at the Showbox February 28th. Don’t get me started on how good this band is…

The VB Brothers’ Annual State-Funded Beer Fest will be held in Chicago this year in early March.

Taking over The Former Student’s fab Belltown loft for a few nights? Um…ok.

Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No, really, how good is that band?

You could always move to central New York for a year. We get that weather from now until late April or May. Plenty of crazy folks still train in it. They could inspire you.

Of course, they don't know how to drink well, so ...

Nice picture of the skyline.