Tuesday, January 23, 2007

This Week in Diversity


STARTING ON A SERIOUS NOTE
This year’s Superbowl, for the first time ever, is interesting and important. It marks the first time the Superbowl has been contested by a black head coach. More startling? Both teams, the Chicago Bears and the Indianapolis Colts are led by black head coaches.

"It means a lot. I'm very proud to be representing African-Americans. I'm very proud of Lovie."
-- Tony Dungy.

"I'll feel even better to be the first black coach to hold up the world championship trophy."
-- Lovie Smith.


What is this proof of? Maybe the “Rooney Rule” that required NFL teams to consider minority candidates for all vacancies has had its desired effect? Maybe professional football culture has just “matured” to the point that the fans are ready for African American men to be more than the labor on the field, but also the administrators on the sidelines? (I have a really hard time using the words “mature” and “football” in the same sentence.)

This is my damn blog, so here is what I like to think about this:

Having two black head coaches in the Superbowl is a big deal. It is proof that if you offer opportunity for minorities to enter into previously white-dominated fields, those minorities will eventually “trickle up” to positions of power. If you want to see a black president at a university, you need to start by having more black students. Doy.

If we believe that sports are a good microcosm for the society in which they are played, then this shift would serve as an indicator that we are becoming a more progressive, inclusive, society.

I am still waiting for the first openly gay major sports athlete to break through and start changing the culture of football, baseball, and basketball. I have a feeling it is going to be a long wait there.

NOW SOMETHING COMPLETELY UNRELATED TO THE ABOVE
New Rule: If you need a translator to file your grade complaint in your college English course, that grade complaint is instantly denied.

What are you talking about GVB? Ok. I’m creative and all, but I couldn’t make this shit up:

Concerning an essay - the first essay consisted of three assignment. Second essay of two. In the fourth module you spoke that students are in a free essay - answers to questions. I also not clear your subjective general criteria - college-level paper.

As the instructor your problem to learn and not just examine. I also do not agree with your phrase- "None of your essays was submitted correctly despite my repeated requests".. Any repeated inquiries was not. It is easy through a web of the Internet. I wish to tell that is measured to lift seriously mine a question. And if it will be necessary will not be limited to "walls of college (VP)".


Also? The next time a student petitions The Colleague and me for an entry pass into the English sequence with the following sort of phrasing? Death by Middlemarch:

hi, i need to kwno how to talk to so to challenge placement test soonest.

Delete.

YOU CAN’T STOP HIM, YOU CAN ONLY HOPE TO CONTAIN HIM
After a week of feeling myself get fat while nursing a nasty chest cold (for the record, The Colleague didn’t sound any better), I finally laced the New Balance back up today and started back in on the miles. You can see the route and data here. In all not a bad warm up. Lungs felt ok and the legs are fine. The stomach is still a little angry from being sick for a week and not eating well, and I gave into my gastrointestinal needs after about 4 miles.

Oh, and I know NOTHING of import has ever gone down on Rucker Avenue, but today I got the sheer pleasure of seeing a cop beat down a high school kid in front of the climbing gym. Good times. I wonder what city ordinance he violated? Did he post a bill? Did he cross against the red? Did he stay out past 9 pm on a weeknight? Everyone knows that Everett closes at 9.

OH YEAH, CONGRATULATIONS TO CAG FOR HER FIRST OFFICIAL STUDENT COMPLAINT
For the record, that student was off his nut.

SALVAGE OPERATION
I rescued all of the climbing gear from Mrs GVB’s house today. Kick ass. This must mean that gravity testing can’t be far behind.

6 comments:

Hugh G. Balls said...

God, I admire you. Sniff. You know, it's like Jimmy said:

"The black is the better athlete. And he practices to be the better athlete, and he's bred to be the better athlete because this goes way back to the slave period. The slave owner would breed this big black with this big black woman so he could have a big black kid. That's where it all started."

So thanks for keeping it real. Now I want to see a pro athlete with Elephantitis of the nuts. We really need to collaps the ball barrier. It just isn't right. No one is free until we're all free.

Reilly Horne-Negal said...

Oh Hugh, you've always been so...so...heartfelt.

By the way, can you put me in contact with this GVB. He seems like the strong, sensitive type. I'd like to get some of that man between my meat.

Hugh G. Balls said...

GVB: What up? Send me details on your impending visits, will ya? And check out my new hoopdee (awesome tri rig): http://www.sbrshop.com/store/product.php?pyid=cb-0008 Primed and ready!!! How's the training?

Anonymous said...

It seems just ironic that my first significant mention in this space is the result of an unfounded student complaint.

Just ironic. On many levels.

But I have students. And for all the crazy turns this road has taken in the last few years, it was always about that. So whatever happens next, it an important way, I've already won.

Hugh G. Balls said...

GVB:
This CAG sounds like a pain in the ass. And she has trouble editing her writing. Which I find ironic. Just ironic. On many levels.

Anonymous said...

You don't know the half of it, Mr. balls. As anyone who knows me well (and there are so few of them) could tell you, "seems like" is a generous speculation.

:)