Thursday, April 17, 2008

Name That Prof!

Disgruntled Students Speak Out!


It is no secret that many characters in this little blog-o-world make their careers plying the waters of Academe. Our job is to educate all of those who grace our classrooms, and I think most of us do a fair job of it. What do we get in return, aside from our massive salaries and endless perks and kickbacks? Our ungrateful little students take the time to rave about our teaching at RateMyProfessors.com.

Reading their comments really gives me pause. I take every one of them very seriously, and I adapt my teaching to match their rants. After all, the students who fail our classes because their parents are actually cousins are exactly the ones we want to be judged by.

So I decided we would have a little test. Let's see who can match the RateMyProfessors entry with the appropriate SailRunClimbRide personality. To the winner: one pair of soon-to-be-retired (387 miles) Brooks Adrenaline GTS 7 runnings shoes, size 11 (you pay shipping and handling):

The Professors
1. GVB
2. The Colleague
3. Al Bangorhard
4. CAG
5. AW
6. RPD
7. MathDude

The Reviews
A. "...an awesome prof. talks about random stuff to prove a strange point such as making paper airplanes for 10 min to prove some point that was lost in the process."

B. "...willing to give help but then have a quick temper. BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU SAY OR DO IN CLASS, wants you to be in totall focus, if not, your gonna hear some things you have not heard from other teachers."

C. "...just a jerk about everything. i really didn't get anything out of this class and the teacher wasn't helpful at all."

D. "...tells us everything we ever learned was wrong...chooses a retarded theme for a hard class and expects to only spend time on this class stuff so assigns a butt load of crap assignments and then grades you horribly. grr."

E. "...NOT recommended. The average grade in this class is, 69%, 1.4 gpa, or considered a d+. That says it all."

F. "...seems to grade based on opinion only. Very little if any feedback is given on formal papers. When you get your paper back, there is no rhyme or reason given for your grade...doesn't tell you why you lost points on any given paper. You just receive the final grade. All our assignments were VERY feminist in nature."

G. "...the worst teacher at this school...as clear as Charlie Brown's teacher....You will only enjoy this class if you are a masochistic english geek. You have been warned."

Happy matching.

4 comments:

The Colleague said...

I know which one is me. And I can't imagine a world in which I would require running shoes, used or otherwise.

Anonymous said...

I also know which one is me. And I can't really use used running shoes either. Besides, they are too small.

Shouldn't we be looking at the REAL comments on mySpace?

Andy said...

Yep, I read 'em too, and recognize mine. But the best one I ever got was, "Never taught us anything. All he did was make us think."

Moveitfred said...

I hope I'm C. But I'm definitely not checking.