Wednesday, November 01, 2006

The Halloween Hangover

It’s the 11th month already. November is here, full of its bizarre academic schedules, painful family holidays, and the lull before the December finals barrage. With 2 months to go in 2006, here are 11 Things for No Reason:

1. Halloween in Suburbia is a trip. We’ve never really done the full-blown Halloween thing with our kids since we’ve never lived with them anywhere but out in the country. In our old “neighborhood” there were four houses, and they were so far apart that it took an hour just to get to them all. But the New Casa GVB is smack dab in the middle of suburban nuclear family paradise. Kids everywhere. And it’s the type of neighborhood that parents from other lame parts of town bring their kids to trick-or-treat. Still, the parents in our ‘hood just don’t do this right. We need to pick one house in the center of the development and make Adult Land: a safe place with comfy chairs and nice drinks where we can escape the chaos of costumes and candy and get the sort of buzz on that one needs in order to survive Halloween. It was a good chance to check out the reclusive neighbors, though. I think the two couples on lots 12 and 13 are swingin’…
2. The Seattle Half is This Month. I am trying to get back on a decent training schedule, but life keeps getting in the way. I’ve managed 16 miles this week so far, 8 of which came on a great loop around Edmonds and Lynnwood. Details here. . Why is it that some part of the body always goes shithouse on long runs? If it isn’t the legs, it’s the feet. If it isn’t the feet, it’s the lungs. If it isn’t the lungs, it’s the brain. This week? The gut. At mile 7 the whole system when down. Not good. Still, I managed an 8 miler at race pace (8:45), so I’m thinking the half will be doable. I’m trying not to have RPD’s race in my head for this one.
3. Some Things are Always Good. Example? Ok. How about Leonard Cohen’s “Light As A Breeze?” Give it a try sometime. Also? Shawn Mullins’ “Sunday Morning Coming Down”. Seriously.
4. Snow Cap. The Winter Ales are out and pouring. Every year I get excited about this and EVERY YEAR I drink one too many Pyramid Snow Caps the first night I discover them. Nothing says “headache” like too much winter ale…
5. Cash. With the insurance money for my golf clubs that were stolen from Mom GVB’s house, I could replace my clubs at full retail. OR, I could buy any of the following:
- A new spinnaker and jib for The Hood
- A totally decked out Apple MacBook Pro AND 30 GB Video iPod
- A first class trip to Kenya
- A new Scattante Triple Carbon Race Bike
- Half of a used Catalina Capri 22 (Cap’n? You in?)

And I’m pretty sure Towse is going to hook me up with some wholesale clubs anyway…Right Towse? Who’s your brother?

6. Go Huskies Ugh. Here’s the thing…I’d MUCH rather the UW Huskies Football team suck ass and lose by 30 points every week. But no. They’re JUST good enough under Tyrone Willingham to ALMOST beat USC, Cal, and Arizona State, only to lose each game in heartbreaking fashion at the last second. Hell, they even hung in with Oklahoma for 3 quarters. But the overtime loss to Cal almost killed me. Come back to tie the game on an improbable last second 43 yard touchdown heave from your backup quarterback? Then lose in overtime? I hate to second guess the best coach we’ve had since Don James, but seriously, Ty? Go for two and the win on the road when you are a 23 point underdog. Go for two. We can only take these “almost” wins for so long. Still, as I am sure DVB and others will support, just beat WSU in the Apple Cup and all is forgiven. Oh, and congrats to Math Dude’s OSU Beaver Believers for finally proving what we all knew: USC is all hype. The Pete Carroll era has officially started its downslide. In 5 years that dude is out of a job.
7. Go Ex-Huskies. As I write this Brandon Roy has just schooled the Seattle Supersonics as a rookie starting his first game in the NBA. Nice. The dude is a total stud and will make me a Trailblazers fan before he’s done. If he isn’t he prohibitive favorite for Rookie of the Year, something is wrong. His line for the first game of the season: 35 minutes, 10/16 shooting, 20 points, 2 assists, 1 block, 2 steals, 3 turnovers.
8. The GVB Tattoo. I am officially getting my first tattoo at the end of Fall Term. I have two basic ideas and designs in mind but am now officially taking suggestions. Two tat rules: It must be on a part of the body that will not sag into unrecognizable ooze as I age (see The Colleague’s ankle tattoo for example), and it must be readily visible to the general public. Hiding a tattoo on your ass (Towse, this means you) is not acceptable as a midlife choice.
9. The Trainer I finally broke down and bought a trainer for the Fuji today. Winter is coming and I need to keep the legs going since Cap’n Ron is dragging me on the One Day Seattle to Portland ride...I bought a nice CyClops fluid trainer with a solid footprint and nice smooth resistance. But after an hour of assembling the trainer and setting up the bike I realized it was sunny and 40 degrees outside. Duh. So I sprinted a nice 10 mile ride outside instead. I was going hard, as evidenced by the peak heart rate of 192. Oops. A great ride despite the fact that I forgot my gloves. Brrrr.
10. Cheese Steak. RPD and GVB are headed to Philadelphia for a conference on collegiate honors programs. This can’t go well. BUT, Al Bangorhard is braving the 45 minute train ride from NYC to consume alcohol and not be gay. Good for Al.
11. Friends. To Cap’n, NPAW, Al, The Colleague, DVB, and RPD: Thanks. You know what I mean.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmm, any relationship between #2 and #4?

Three of my four runs this week have been in the slop! It is so damp that my shoes won't dry properly. Today's was the MOST BRUTAL 10 miles I've done (7.5 miles of climbing in total).

As for PHL, I intend on having some fun and learning something too boot. But I probably won't eat a cheese steak. ;-)

-RPD