Sunday, November 19, 2006

A Philly Reflection


RPD and I are set to get on an aging jet plane and head back west. Here, in list form for the prose averse (this means you, Towse), is a recap of our week in Philadelphia:

1. There’s a lot of meat in this town. It’s like the whole town is catered by Applebees: bacon on everything. Even the Vegetarian soup has chicken in it, baby. Eatin' good in the neighborhood. Yum. Let’s just say that the cuisine here is not worth the travel. I’ve lost weight. "Can I get the Vegetarian Pizza without the sausage? Thanks.
2. Leaving Seattle for anywhere else in the country is a lesson in bad beer. Seattle bars are stacked with great beers. Here? Don’t even ask. At least they stock decent gin.
3. Al B drove his ass up to Philly on Friday for a nice 10 mile run (8:30 per mile, Al, in case you want to log that) and some beers.
4. I somehow ended up logging over 40 miles on the shoes while I was here. My legs are feeling it.
5. We tried to sneak into the Philadelphia Marathon route today, but didn’t. Still, we did a nice 12 mile route alongside the marathon route this morning (8:40 per). There was a lot of human wreckage en route. Paramedics and tragic limping. Here's a clue, folks, marathons are hard.
6. There might be more dead white men memorialized in bronze statuary in this town than anywhere I have ever been.
7. How important is cheap real estate to you? Move to Philly. A 3 bedroom downtown condo on a great street in an updated brownstone? 285k. The same joint in Seattle would be 600k easy. Still, you’d have to live in Philly, and Philly ain't close enough to NYC to make it worth it.
8. As I post this, the waiters in the lobby bar are grousing over their Philadelphia Eagles losing their asses to the Tennessee Titans. They really seem to care. Why? I have no idea.
9. Home. Time to go home. To the rain, to the weirdness. To a short work week. To a meat-related holiday. How much was that condo again?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You gotta hang out with different folks if you want to eat well in Philly. Some great vegetarian food to be found there. Next time you go - ask me for recommendations. (you know, or just invite me along...Philly is only of my favorite cities).

As for that whole football dedication thing.... still don't get it, but I can testify that they don't have to be physically in Philly to feel it....

Nice running stats.