Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Running and Not

NON-RUNNING CONTENT
Lots of things going on these days. You can get warmed up with some other reading:
Check out RPD's travel posts from Argentina.

Groove on over to the BiCoastalBoys place for some sports-related bitching and griping.

Want a little taste of the rampant racism in this part of the country? Read this disturbing article from the Seattle Times.

Let's see...what else is there? Oh, those 4 Amy Winehouse tickets we have for September 25th are now worthless. Thanks Rehab!

On the plus side, I found a nice curvy route from The Palace to The Learning Factory today. Commuting on the 650 just got more interesting.

Also? Meet us at Engel's Pub Thursday at 6:00. Motorcycle optional.


RUNNING CONTENT
Hitting the track tonight for some speed work. Cap'n claims some work-related excuse to get out of running around the oval? Slacker. Update to come.

Here's something: on my last two long runs (18 and 19 miles, respectively) I have absolutely suffered through mile 15. From 16 on I feel like I could run forever, but 15 is like running uphill pulling a sled. You distance folks help me out here...I am pretty sure it is at least partly mental, but I also know there is a fuel issue in there somewhere. I'm going to try fueling differently during this week's long run (20 miles on Sunday) and see what happens.


Another query: It's time to start thinking about a goal pace for Portland. Any wisdom and race strategies are welcome at this point. I reserve the right to ignore you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Re the 15 mile "bonk". Hmm. What does your eating schedule look like? Do you eat when you get hungry or do you sense when the tank is just beginning to run low and then eat? I find that I get into trouble if I wait until I am hungry. So, on a long run, I'll often start eating within the first 7 miles (earlier if I feel crappy).

GVB said...

This week's run was MUCH better. I snacked on a Powerbar after 6 miles, drank plenty of water, and had two gels after 13 miles. I didn't start to fade until mile 19, but even then had a little left for miles 20 and 21...Drink before you're thirsty and eat before you're hungry. That seems to be the gig...

Anonymous said...

You got it. Now the question becomes how closely do you listen to your body. Can you sense when you are beginning to run out of fuel yet?