Monday, May 01, 2006

The Decider, Persuasion, and the Flip Flop


It's almost Mother's Day boys and girls. Let's all order our pastel flower arrangements and go out of our way to make sure Mom gets to sleep in. Whatever.

Mother's Day in my world means one thing: 'Round Whidbey. This sailing race around the island is very conveniently scheduled each year on Mother's Day weekend, and if you include the one-day boat delivery to the start on Friday, the race all day and through the night on Saturday, it's a full weekend of NOT buying cards or flowers and, with my In Laws, NOT watching people eat under-cooked meat.

So as I am filling out my sick (COUGH) leave slip for the Friday trip from Everett to Deception Pass, the following email pings into my in-box:

Dearest Swabs
After careful deliberation I have decided to not sail Round Whidbey. It's just too far to sail given our beer capacity
Let's see what the Fall brings re: racing.
Capt "I am the Decider"


Skipper Krumm has pulled the plug on 'Round Whidbey? It's not that I want to do the race, but PLEASE don't make me endure Mother's Day!!!

This calls for an intervention. The real purpose of last Friday's lunch and beers at the Butt can now be revealed: Krumm must be convinced to sail.

Every man has his breaking point. Krumm's is 3 Scuttlebutt IPAs.

Was that some wavering I saw there across the table? Were Cap'n Ron and I really that persuasive? Was it the realization that one less crew member would mean both more beer carrying capacity AND fewer beer drinkers?

We await the official Flip Flop from The Decider...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»