Thursday, May 04, 2006

Put it on "Underhill"


The greatest thing about attending conferences is the Room Charge. I go all week and never have to take my wallet out of my pocket (except on some occasions when I have to check my ID to remember my name, but that's another issue entirely).

Last night two of us had a wonderful dinner, capped off by some of the best 12 year old scotch I have tasted in a long time (Lagavulin). The bill wasn't small, but what the hell? Put on Underhill. Room 7. http://members.cox.net/jayclsn/Images/underhill.wav

Nice.

This morning, after learning that my presentation had been moved to the ill-fated late afternoon slot (on a sunny 80 degree forecast day, no less) I decided to see the world. The New Balance and I set off on a nice 7 mile trip along the river. Here are my splits: 8:02, 8:10, 8:07, 7:50, 7:38, 7:22, 7:29. Guess which way was upwind? Sheesh.

This is my first real run since the Sun Run (aside from some little jogs in the neighborhood) and my first since a bizarre and crippling sleeping accident (ask RPD, he knows). Good news: everything feels great.

Yesterday I took a trip in the Way-Back machine and drove out to Hood River to see how much had changed since my old windsurfing days. Turns out the breweries are still there. Most of the windsurfing shops are gone, and the town has turned into something that looks like a cross between Bellingham and Telluride. Weird.

Here's a list for today:

LIKE: Long runs in warm weather
DISLIKE: Large mean dogs with pinch collars lunging at me from their leash.

LIKE: Hanging out with people I never get to spend any time with
DISLIKE: Hanging out with people who bitch about everything (the airconditioning in your room is too loud? Awwww. Here's a big helping of I don't give a rat's ass about your problems).

LIKE: Good 12 Year Old Scotch.
DISLIKE: Waitresses who try to hitchike on private jokes at your table. (No, you WON'T have what she's having. Nice try, though.)

LIKE: Charles Barkley talking about losing 10 million dollars gambling
DISLIKE: John Daly talking about losing 10 million dollars gambling. Seriously John, $5,000 slot machines? At least Barkley lost his money at the tables and on the golf course. Can't you just imagine the "closest to the pin" wagers Barkley and Jordan must throw down during their Sunday afternoon scramble?

LIKE: Hotels.
DISLIKE: Hotels that only have room service until 11:00.

LIKE: Sailing Round Whidbey
DISLIKE: Not getting to do it on the Lion (see below). We'll miss ya Krumm.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Folks,

Regarding the nature of GVB's "injury" I have in mind a particular ACDC song. Any guesses?

-RPD

FppInternational said...

I think the Underhills were in cabana 12