Saturday, May 20, 2006

Twitchy: ADJ

Twtichy (adj):
1. Characterized by jerky or spasmodic motion: the twitchy whiskers of a cat.
2. Nervous; jittery.


Sometimes you hear someone use a word and it sticks with you for a while. On Friday I heard someone use the word “twitchy” and thought nothing of it. Ok, well, I thought a little about it: context is everything.

Saturday afternoon, as I was riding down into the Stillaguamish valley from the site for the future Casa GVB (we have progressed beyond pile of dirt phase: we have a foundation now) doing 33 miles per hour with a 20 knot cross wind, I got twitchy. Or, to be more accurate, the Fuji got twitchy. I went from riding the fog line to taking up the whole damn lane (I was doing the speed limit, after all) to avoid being blown into the massive drainage ditch the lines the road. I was actually relieved to hit the hard right turn at the bottom of the hill so I could lean into something rather than just trying to stay upright.

All told I did a 42 mile loop from the Future Casa to La Conner and back. Here is a map of the route. With the wind at my back from Stanwood to Fir Island, I was doing 25 miles per hour most of the time. Once I turned back to Stanwood, the southerly buster was in my face, and things got slower and less fun. iPod to the rescue.

Here is a sample of the playlist from today. And yes, I know I shouldn’t ride with headphones on. Shut up. You’re not my mom. Well, except for you, Mom. Hi.

“Everybody Out of the Water” – The Wallflowers
“Breakdown” – Jack Johnson
“Brain Stew” – Green Day
“St. Teresa” Joan Osborne
“Till I Collapse” – Eminem
“Song for the Dumped” – Ben Folds Five
“All I Really Want” – Alanis Morissette
“Fuckin’ With My Head” – Beck
“Stitched Up” – John Mayer

There are some keepers on there. And, Al B, don’t worry, your CDs are in the mail this week. Enjoy. And don’t bitch about stuff you don’t like.

Rumor is Cap’n Ron got suckered into sailing a Mid Distance race today on Blade Runner. How’d that work out for ya, Cap’n?

1 comment:

GVB said...

Good news on the bike. Yes folks, Cap'n Ron is giving up four wheels for two. Death wish? Maybe. But you can be assured that over beers on Thursday night I did my best to convince him to buy it. I'm good at spending other peoples' money.

Sounds like a, well, "race". I hate those drag races.

I tell you what, I'm going to like riding and running up at Casa GVB North. For a good part of today's ride I didn't see a car or another cyclist at all. It was great.