Sunday, May 21, 2006

Yes, It's True. I'm a Geek


I did a nice easy 6 this morning. It was bloody brilliant out. Cool, clear, still. Going to be a decent day. Mrs. GVB is out doing the Off Broadway thing today, so I am taking the kids out on the boat for the afternoon. Might as well start practicing those toddler-overboard drills.

Feeling in a somewhat sappy old-school mood this morning. Here is my playlist from today, straight from my Nano to your screen. Some great songs on here. The source and inspiration for the list? That is today's POP QUIZ. Winner gets a free ride on the back of Cap'n Ron's new Buell motorcycle. You did become a new road hazard today, didn't you Cap'n?

Donny Hathaway - 'A Song for You'
James Ingram - 'Just Once'
Sam Cooke – “You Send Me”
Tony Bennett – “It Had to Be You”
Rod Stewart - 'These Foolish Things'
Joe Cocker - 'You Are So Beautiful'
Otis Redding - 'Try a Little Tenderness'
Ray Charles - 'I Believe to My Soul'
Ray LaMontagne - 'Trouble'
Michael Bublé - 'Home'
Gary Allan - 'Best I Ever Had'
Train - 'Drops of Jupiter'
Nat King Cole - 'When I Fall in Love'
Al Jarreau - 'Teach Me Tonight'
Michael Jackson - 'Butterflies'
James Moody - 'Moody's Mood For Love'
Bobby Caldwell - 'What You Won't Do for Love'


Extra credit for those who can tell me (without a Google assist) which of the above songs are by their original recording artist and which ones are covers.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... it's not your anniversary, and it's not commencement, and it's not your birthday.

American Idol finals?

As for the e.c. part (you know how much I love extra credit....), I can only guess:

Hathaway: cover
Ingram: original
Cooke: cover
Bennett: hard to say - I don't think this was original to him, so cover?
Stewart: cover
Cocker: original
Redding: cover
Charles: original
LaMontagne: cover
Buble: cover
Allan: not sure, so I'll say cover
Train: original
Cole: original
Jarreau: damn, I know both versions, but I don't know who was first. So I'll say original.
jackson: original?
Moody: cover
Caldwell: cover

no google here, just guessing.

GVB said...

Partial Credit.

These are all songs that have been performed on AI this season.

As for the rest...you missed more than 4.

Hugh G. Balls said...

"The source and inspiration for the list?"...You've finally come out of the closet? I think desperate measure are necessary here:
1) Remove Nano from running pouch.
2) Place on hard surface.
3) Smash repeatedly with something large/blunt.
4) Bring large/blunt implement to computer.
5) Backup all those cute pics / vids of the kiddies
6) Smash PC 10-15 times (making sure that screen implodes and cpu is damaged beyond repair).

GVB said...

Al, I'm hopeless, man. Don't rip on the Nano. If I need to smash anything, it's this fucking TiVO box...these shows aren't that good the first time...why am I recording them?

And, for the record, I came out of the closet years ago. But you were pretty drunk, I don't expect you to remember.

Hugh G. Balls said...

I'm still sore. I remember. And it was a small vestibule...not much bigger than a closet, so... What are you Tivoing? The only thing I could possibly think about taping is the ball game...and they replay that late night anyway. "Television is a vast wasteland."