Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Park the Boat, Lace the Shoes


Let me get this out of the way: I hate the 4th of July. I don't think fireworks are pretty or neat or fun. I don't like crowds on the water or in the national forests. I don't like the maddening lack of awareness of the deep irony and symbolism of fireworks and purchasing them from Indians...But we survived.

We survived:

A sudden thunderstorm opening up over the boat, which was already anchored in a sketchy spot.

Motoring in the dinghy as a squall blew across the bay with 25 knot winds, driving rain, and 3 foot waves.

My pyromaniac father with $1,000 worth of illegal fireworks.

And we survived the above pictured sunset. Not bad.


With the forecast for increasing southerly winds, we decided to move the boat deep into a little storm hole, about 2 miles from where we had been anchored in front of my Dad's house.

Good thing: when we pulled up the anchor we found that it had been hooked on kelp rather than in the mud. Yikes.

This morning we moved the boat up to a slip in Port Ludlow. Tomorrow, with the forecast not really improving, we are headed home, a quick 5 hour trip across the sound.

Since we've been here at Hood Canal, I've logged two pretty good runs (what are you running from, GVB? Your parents? Uh, yeah.)

http://www.favoriterun.com/46937


and

http://www.favoriterun.com/46935

Averaged 6:53 on the short route and 7:50 on the long one. Not bad.

Time for a beer on the deck, methinks.

Cheers. See you on the water.

3 comments:

GVB said...

Well, I'm paying for the fast day...my feet are screaming today.

As for the return trip, so long as we avoid the crab pots on the south side of Whidbey, we'll be fine. Good Gay Jesus they're everywhere! It's like a slalom course.

Anonymous said...

I think of all the things I miss about home, the sunsets are the thing I miss the most. Thanks for sharing a beautiful shot.

Oh, and glad to know you made it safely across the water in the dinghy. We've had your share of sudden and severe thunderstorms here this week, but I'm not really near water so all I have to do is keep the garage from flooding where all the boxes are packed and standing on bare concrete.

so where is "home" right now?

GVB said...

Home right now is a combination of the boat (while moored in Everett it is "home", while somewhere else it is "the boat"), the In Law's house, the beach house, the back seat of the A3 (I've only slept there once), and a van down by the river.

Don't be too jealous. Today it is raining and the clouds stretch from the waterline to the sky and there is no way to distinguish between the Sound and the rain water.