Friday, July 14, 2006

Right Turn!

Yesterday I snuck out for a nice 40 mile ride. I was distracted most of the time playing with my new Garmin, but when I was paying attention there were cows and tractors and Ford trucks.

There was also a golf ball-sized rock at the bottom of a nice tight downhill turn. Front wheel hit it first, bounced sideways, and by some divine miracle caught traction again before I went tits up into a corn field.

Here's the fun part of wearing a heart rate monitor: I was riding at about 160 BPM most of the day. The "High Heart Rate" alarm on the Garmin is set at 190. Beep Beep Beep.

I really can't believe I didn't go down on that one. 25 MPH downhill. Sharp turn. Damp pavement. Big round rock. Scary.

Also scary is that my forks have developed a little carbon-fiber crackling sound that is most noticeable when I am climbing. Hmmmm. Someone tell me this is normal.

Anyway, I arrived home from the ride to be told that I was taking the kids to the club to swim. Ok. While there I decided to get a few laps in myself. Turns out that after a 2 hour bike ride, 10 laps in the pool hurts.

Who knew?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

20 hours?

GVB said...

2 hours. Typo. You fucking English teachers are all the same...

Anonymous said...

just making sure there wasn't a missing chapter in the saga...

:)