Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Sailing Away

We’re out. The ‘Hood is fueled up and fully loaded. Port Townsend, Rosario, and points north. See you in August.

The kids dragged me to the pool today, on my rest day, but I decided I could still afford a light workout. Ended up doing a 500 and then when the kids weren’t ready to leave, I grabbed a pull-buoy and did another 500 with just the arms. The swimming is coming together, but I still sink. I really do.

The lap pool at the club has underwater speakers. Which is fine but a little over the top. Further over the top in a perfectly cool workout sorta way? Swimming to Guns and Roses “Appetite for Destruction”. As Cap’n Ron said recently, as Quiet Riot played on the ‘Hood, “There’s no music that isn’t good at the right time.”

I hear ya.

However, I have decided that it will be my duty to teach the people of this town a little locker room nudity etiquette. For those who haven’t experienced the men’s side of the locker room, it usually goes something like this: the teenagers (who arguable are the only ones who should be bravely naked) are very modest and usually wear a towel or underwear everywhere they go; the 20 and 30 somethings tend to be unembarrassed but discrete, wearing towels and mostly minimizing the amount of time other men have to spend looking at their balls; and the older men are completely naked before they get all of the way in the door.

Whatever. Fine. Except for the truly gross old dudes, be as naked as you want. But there are rules:

1. The first ones in the sauna or steam room get to establish the cover-up protocol for that session. If you come into the steam room and everyone is naked, feel free. But if you come in and there are four dudes in towels and/or trunks, keep your shit covered. I thought this was common knowledge.
2. Locker proximity matters. If you have to step to the left a few feet to keep from sticking your ass on me while you bend over to pull your shorts on, do it.
3. Dry your shit off at the showers. Don’t drip dry in front of your locker.
4. Look, but don’t stare. Straight or not. Or at the very least, buy me a drink.

More reports from the field. But first, please explain to me how the forecast for Port Townsend can call for northerly winds at 10-20 knots but the forecast for Admiralty Inlet (about a mile east of Port Townsend) can call for southerly winds at 10-15? How the fuck do I plan for that?

Why not push up through Deception Pass, GVB? Good question. Try this on for size: Max ebb, 6.7 knots. Max flood, 7.1 knots. Slack? What’s that?

Weather permitting we will be on a mooring at Rosario Wednesday afternoon. See you there.

No comments: