Sunday, March 12, 2006

Faster than Slower Boats

Race day in Everett today, which usually means either freezing cold, gusty south winds, and rain, OR freezing cold, sunny, and dead calm. It started out as the latter…

Krumm had already washed down the decks of the Lion when I arrived. Very thoughtful. Except the spray froze to the dock. 9:45 a.m. MAN DOWN. This is bad news, especially since I was bringing the ballast for the day. Happily, no one (me) went in the drink, and the drink was saved. Unhappily, I brilliantly slipped on the same ice when I stepped off the boat to go for a coffee...

We were short of crew today. Cap’n Ron was busy “working” (last seen on a boat in the marina with a computer or something…doesn’t seem like much of a job to me). Kevin is apparently sick. That leaves David “The Loose Cannon” Miller, Skipper Krumm, and me.

15 minutes before the start there wasn’t a lick of wind and I am pretty sure none of us really thought we would see anything but the red and white striped, Dr. Suess “Postpone” flag.

Krumm took this opportunity right before the start to work on the engine. Seemed reasonable to me.

But a northwesterly filled in nicely and we actually got to race.

Long story short: we raced well and managed to finish first in class. Not bad for three idiots.

Cap’n Ron arrived just in time to help us drain the liquid ballast tank, of course.

Note: Ballast on the Lion dangerously low as of 3/12/06. For safety reasons this must be replenished before the next race.

Winter Series is over. The brave crew of Dent de Lion came out 2nd in class.

Next up, Mid Distance (20 mile courses) and then Round Whidbey.

The Cannon is apparently opting out of Round Whidbey for libido reasons. I seriously hope to have nothing more to say about that one…

No comments: