Friday, March 17, 2006

Labor Struggles. And a New Bike.

Strippers win right to meal breaks, OT

SYDNEY, Australia — Australian strippers have won the right to take time off after taking their clothes off.

The country's Industrial Relations Commission on Friday approved new workplace rules for members of the strippers' union, the Striptease Artists Australia.

"We've got rights to have public holiday pay now, which we've never had in our career before," said a union spokeswoman called Mystical Melody. "We've got rosters and set hours. We can't work more than 10 hours a shift."

The award also entitles unionized strippers to overtime, rest periods, meal breaks and maternity leave, she added.


When I think about exploited workers, I think aboutn Australian strippers...

In other news, the shopping period for my new road bike is winding down, with a decision to be made over the weekend. Soon I will be cursing my decision as I struggle through the hills around Casa GVB...Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When you make a decision, I'd be interested in knowing what you selected and for what features. Are there hills around Casa GVB, or is it relatively flat?

GVB said...

There be hills. Lot's of 'em. But it's a pretty easy job of map reading to get east out into the river valleys and ride the backroads.