Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Same Old New Kicks


I love buying new shoes. And I love replacing old shoes with new versions of the same ones. I recently replaced my FiveTen Guide Tennies with a new pair of FiveTen Guide Tennies. I searched up and down this here Internet looking for a new pair of Sperry Figawi sailing shoes to no avail (the assholes replaced their best shoe with some lame tennis shoe looking thing)

So on Monday, at the New Balance store, all I wanted was to get the same shoes, in the same size, that I have recently managed to blow out. The old ones just don't have the support anymore, and the cushioning is, well, not cushiony.

And you know what? I know what size my feet are. I know what fits me. I know what I want.

SCENE
GVB walks to the display, grabs the 766 off the shelf. SALESMAN in red shirt is lingering near the socks.

GVB: Can you grab me this in a 10?
SALESMAN: Let me measure you up and see what size you need.
GVB: No. Just grab the 10.
SALESMAN: Ok.

SALESMAN returns with three boxes. GVB glares.

SALESMAN: I brought the 9.5, 10, and 10.5
GVB: I need the 10.
SALESMAN: Let's try them on.
GVB: The 10. Yes.

GVB laces up the 10s and stands, checking to make sure the last is the same, etc.

SALESMAN: Let's check your toes here (leans over to push on the toe of the shoes.)
GVB: They're fine.
SALESMAN: You might need a 10.5. You should have more room than that.
GVB: No. This is just right.
SALESMAN: You're supposed to have more room in the toes.
GVB: No. Any bigger and I'll be sliding all over the place. This is perfect.
SALESMAN: Whatever you say.

END SCENE

You're damn right whatever I say. I know my feet. I know what I like. And I know that 100 bucks is a lot of money to spend on shoes. And I know that next week I will be spending twice that on cycling shoes...damn. Donations to my PayPal account, please.

3 comments:

GVB said...

Happily, the 766 hasn't changed since my last pair. Sadly, they are phasing them out.

Anonymous said...

NB are the only athletic type shoes I wear (cuz they're the only ones that come in narrow). I am constantly having to change styles because they phase out the one that is perfect. I also wear NB in a different size than most of my other shoes. When I used to have money, I'd buy two pairs of the same style at a time. Sadly, there is no NB store anywhere near central NY, and of the stores that carry the shoes at all, no one carries the narrow sizes. I guess the advantage to mail order is avoiding "helpful" salespeople.

GVB said...

I am feeling dangerously close to stockpiling products I like, because they keep changing them...But where does it end?

Bottom line is that the new shoes fit and they seem to work. Hurrah!

Cap'n, what say you regarding cycling shoes?